Designed by Augustus Saint Gaudens and carved in marble and later cast in bronze by his brother, Louis Saint Gaudens, the sculpture was commissioned by the New York Life Insurance Company for its downtown St. Paul headquarters in 1890.  The sculpture was saved from the building’s destruction in urban renewal of the 1960’s.  With support from the New York Life Foundation, it was restored by Public Art Saint Paul in 2004 and relocated to Summit Lookout Park, in collaboration with the Ramsey Hill Association.



Public Art Saint Paul
351 Kellogg Blvd E, Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101
651.290.0921
www.publicartstpaul.org